With more than 70,000 car spaces in central Melbourne, parking in the city is quick, easy and safe.
On-street parking is available throughout the municipality, with 3000 marked parking bays in the central city. Parking restrictions are in operation to help make these car parking spaces more readily available for shoppers, visitors and residents.
For more information, visit:
Commercial car parks
In central Melbourne, you're never more than 200m from a supervised, commercial car park. There are 140 commercial car parks and most offer short-and long-stay deals, early bird specials and disabled access.
The City of Melbourne owns two commercial car parks:
For more city car-parking locations, see City of Melbourne Maps and select 'city explorer' and then 'car parks'.
Parking for larger vehicles (caravans and campervans)
There is no specialised on-street parking for caravans or vans in the city. If you choose to park on the street:
- Road rules require the vehicle to be parked completely within a parking bay.
- If vehicles is too long or too wide, the vehicle must be parked within the minimum number of parking bays.
- If vehicles are attached to each other, you only need to pay for one parking meter.
- If vehicles are detached or separated, then a parking fee must be paid for both.
Please note, it is prohibited to sleep or live in parked vehicles as per Council by-law covering camping in public places.
Commercial car parks
Queen Victoria Market on the corner of Franklin and Queen streets is appropriate for most caravans and vans. There is no height limit and the car park is open daily from 5am to 7pm. Cars left after closing hours will incur an additional exit fee.
Find out more on the Carepark website
Some locations have a higher height restriction of 2.1 metres:
- Southern Cross, 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne
- The Foundry, 399 Bourke Street and 368 Little Collins Street, Melbourne
- 50 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
- 340 La Trobe Street, Melbourne
- The Strand, 250 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne (enter from 323 Lonsdale Street)
- AXA Centre, 750 Collins Street, Docklands (enter from Rebecca Lane)
- 23 Queens Road, Melbourne (enter from Queens Lane)
- 522 Flinders Lane, Melbourne (open 24 hours Fridays and Saturdays)
Visit Secure Parking for more information on locations, hours of operation and height restrictions.
Some locations have no height restrictions:
- Digital Harbour, Corner Harbour Esplanade and Dudley streets, Docklands
- 800 Bourke Street, Docklands
- South Wharf Retail Park (Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre)
- Freeway Carpark, Munro Street, South Melbourne (under Westgate Freeway)
Other Wilson Parking locations may have a height restriction of 2.1m - visit Wilson Parking for more details.
- 127-129 Kavanagh Street, Southbank
- 2 Bowen Crescent, Melbourne
- 3 Meaden Street, Southbank
- Railway Place, Southbank
Visit Ace Parking for further information regarding other locations, hours of operation and height restrictions.