Melbourne's public transport network extends from the city centre in all directions, with trains, trams and buses offering comprehensive public transport services.
There's also the free City Circle Tram to help you get around to all the city's major attractions.
Maps & timetables
For detailed information and timetables for trains, trams and buses, contact Public Transport Victoria on 1800 800 007.
All night public transport on Friday and Saturday
Trains, trams and late night buses operate through the night on Fridays and Saturdays and there is a 2am coach service to key regional centres. For more information about Night Network and specific services, visit Public Transport Victoria.
myki is Melbourne's ticket to travel on the city's trains, trams and buses. It is a re-usable smart card that stores value to pay your public transport fare.
You can buy and top up a myki from:
- close to 800 retailers where you see the myki sign, including all 7-Eleven stores
- major train stations, such as Flinders Street station and Southern Cross station
- myki machines at metropolitan train stations and some accessible tram stops and bus interchanges
- online or by calling 1800 800 007 (delivered to an Australian address only).
You can also top up:
- at myki machines at railway stations
- on board buses (to a maximum of $20)
- online or by calling 1800 800 007 (allow 24 hours for top up to be processed)
Once you have a myki and have topped it up, you're ready to travel. All you need to do is touch on at the myki reader (at the entry/exit points at train stations and on board trams and buses) at the start of each trip. At the end of your trip, simply touch off when you exit the train station or vehicle.
Failure to show a valid myki (that is topped up and touched on) to a ticket inspector can lead to a fine.
Free Tram Zone
Melbourne’s free tram zone includes the central city and Docklands, with the principal boundaries of Spring Street, Flinders Street and La Trobe Street. The zone also includes Victoria Street, William Street and Elizabeth Street, surrounding the Queen Victoria Market.
Tram travel within this zone is free, however, if your journey starts or finishes outside the Free Tram Zone you'll need to touch on with a topped-up myki to ensure you have a valid ticket.
Travelling by bus or train will still require a valid myki even within this new Free Tram Zone.
Plan your journey
The public transport journey planner can help you plan your trip from A to B. Many attractions are listed in the journey planner – simply enter your origin and the name of the attraction in the destination box for a tailored trip plan.
myki Visitor Pack
Visitors can buy a myki Visitor Pack to travel on public transport in Melbourne and regional Victoria. It includes discounts and offers at 15 of Melbourne's leading attractions, including museums, must-see experiences, walking, cycling and foodie tours.
You can buy myki Visitor Packs from:
- SkyBus terminals at Melbourne Airport and Southern Cross Station
- PTV Hub at Southern Cross Station and 750 Collins Street, Docklands
- many hotels and accommodation providers